Just in time for halloween! I have been making body suit costumes since 2007 and I still really have no idea how to do it. BUT I did document how I threw my latest strapless red bodysuit for my traditional bunny girl costume together. You may have seen me in this at Animethon 2012 or at Anime Revolution 2012. I make All my own patterns so my ideas are kinda non-conventional and ways of doing things don't really follow logic, HOWEVER I have promised to a few girls that I would put up how I made this costume. Please forgive if it's confusing! I added in mini tutorials about boning and bias tape as these are new things I had to learn to make this suit
Need to buy
- Duct Tape
- Plastic Wrap
- Test Fabric (cotton, muslin, twill etc.)
- Mounting Fabric (heavy weight and not-stretchy like twill)
- Fashion Fabric (something pretty and non-stretchy)
- Bias Tape
- 16" heavy duty zipper
- Hooks and eyes
- Foam Bra Cups
- Fray Check
- Compression underwear Optional
- Performance Tights Optional
- Exterior Mounting Tape Optional
You will need
- Sense of Humor
- A friend
- Time (a full day at least)
- General Sewing stuff
- general sewing experience
- Create the Pattern Strip, wrap, tape, trace, cut, digitize (shown above)
- Make some test Copies Print, cut, sew, bone, bias tape (shown above)
- Cut Good Copy Print, trace, protect, cut (shown above)
- Make the CorsetSleeve, underwire, cup, elastic, bone (shown above)
- Attach the layersStitch down the ditch, edge, trim and bias (shown above)
- Add finishing bitsZipper and hooks(shown above)
EDIT: Someone Filmed me in this outfit if you want a better idea of how the pattern turns out: [link]
I was was wondering how expensive it is to do this?
And how hard is boning to do for someone who hasn't done it before?
Does anyone know?
Thanks so much!
Can you tell what you mean by "Mounting Fabric"? I assuming it's the inner fabric and you used to attach the boning?
Also did you attach the right and left breast patterns to the corset portion with seams raw or did you seam the corset first with seams facing downwards than later attached the breast patterns?
And finally, I'm using your bunny suit as the structure than later creating the Wonder Woman
body suit (bikini and top) and attaching it. Is this the way you creating your "OUTSTANDING WONDER WOMAN COSTUME"?
I appreciate your response. It's been challenging since I've never made a corset and my daughter has been asking me for years to help her make a WW costume.
My Mother-in-Law was from Edmonton. Her father established most of the early immigrant school teaching English to the Ukranian Immigrants during the Depression. It kept him employed throughtout the Depression since there was great need to teach Ukranians English.
I traveled to Canada with my family recently and found the landscapes to be so beautiful.
Did you use any tricks to hold your bust up in the bunnysuit?
I'm a DD so not sure if this tutorial would work well for me or not.
It doesn't bug me any!
This was a lot of fun to see. As a long-time Bunny fan, and an engineer, seeing how the costume is made is particularly nice.
Also, I was very impressed with you dancing in the video -- there must be a lot of double-sided tape in the cups of that outfit!
Also, very good idea using the duct tape for that.
The costume is really well done.